A Message from BUSIT
Please see below information from BUSIT.
With the shift to Level 2 this Thursday 14 May, we have a number of changes to our bus services. Attached is a poster summarising the majority of this information, and everything, including a route by route summary can be found on this webpage: https://busit.co.nz/bus-alerts/level2
We know that a large number of school students will return to the public bus network from Monday 18 May. This poses a significant challenge due to the capacity restraints we have, both with the network/timetable (lack of driver availability) and onboard (physical distancing requirements).
Government advice is to try and limit taking public transport.
That is, if your students/parents have alternative transport options available to them, please encourage them to use them.
This is so that those who have no alternative transport options can use the bus services that are running.
We will do our absolute best to get students to school, but due to physical distancing restrictions the number of available seats on each bus is only around 40% of normal at Level 2. We are being upfront about this to manage the expectations of students, parents/caregivers and schools.
Routes and timetables
- In Hamilton most buses will continue to operate to a weekend timetable, with some extra trips put on to help people get to school and work as listed in our website.
- Services travelling from Huntly, Cambridge, Te Awamutu, Morrinsville and Raglan operate their normal weekday service, including the school assist buses.
- On-board capacity is only 40% at Level 2.
- Stickers on the exterior of the buses show what the maximum number of passengers on each bus is.
- All window seats are available.
- All aisle seats are unavailable UNLESS you know the person in the window seat (e.g. a sibling, classmate, friend, in the same sports team etc.).
- Follow the mantra --- “If you know them, you can sit next to them”
- Contact tracing is COMPULSORY.
- Students must register their trip by completing the passenger trip register form here or by ringing 0800 205 305.
- Please do not travel if you are unwell.
- Bus travel will continue to be free until further notice to avoid direct contact between drivers and passengers.
- Bus entry will be by the rear doors where possible, which excludes at the Hamilton Transport Centre and where passengers – such as wheelchair users – require the ramp for boarding.
- Enhanced cleaning of buses continues, including:
- Daily disinfection to all touch points on board including bell pushers, poles and seat back handles
- Daily fogging/misting disinfectant treatment of all buses
- Extensive cleaning and disinfecting of the air conditioning filters
- Enhanced cleaning of the Transport Centre seats and shelters is also taking place.
We’d appreciate it if you can pass on this information to your school community. You’re also welcome to share our relevant posts on Facebook.com/BusitWaikato.
Please do get in touch if you have any questions.
Susi and the BUSIT team