Message from the Headmaster, Wednesday 30 March 2022

Kia Ora

It has been a challenging few weeks for so many of our families, as you have coped with positive COVID cases in your families. We do appreciate the many ways in which you continue to support us all at school, by keeping your sons home if they are unwell, and by notifying us when they do have COVID. 

The numbers of positive cases which we have been experiencing have continued to drop over the past week, and it has been wonderful to have the whole school attend each day.

However, we continue to have a significant number of staff absent through their own illness, or because they are isolating with a family member. It has become apparent, today, that we will have to return to rostering home next week, for the first two days at present, but with the possibility of the system continuing through the week. 

We are utilising all of our relief staff, every day, and teaching staff are also having to use their non contacts to cover for their collleagues, which is unsustainable for a long period of time.

Thus, we will roster our Year 9 students home on Monday, 4th April, and our Year 10s on Tuesday, 5th April. I will send confirmation as soon as we have more clarity regarding the rest of next week. We certainly want to minimise disruption as much as we possibly can, as we move towards the end of the term.

I appreciate your support through these continuing challenges. As we offered last time, supervision will be available on those two days, if your son is unable to remain home. 

On Monday, 4th April, we are also holding the Athletics Sports, for all competitive students, who have qualified through the prelims at school. Any year 9 students involved will be able to attend, of course. We have been fortunate to be able to hire Porritt Stadium for the day. 

However, as we are still in red light settings, we will be unable to have any spectators attend. Thank you for your support in making this a safe environment - we are very pleased that we are able to have the event at all.

So, no classes will occur for:

Year 9: 4 April

Year 10: 5 April.

For all other year levels, we will make a decision by Monday at the latest.

Thank you to all of our dedicated and passionate parents who have helped our teams through the Summer season, and for all who have volunteered to support us through the Winter season. Quite simply, we can’t do it without you!

I will be in touch. Do let me know if you have any concerns with your son’s progress through this disrupted term, so that we can work together to make Term 2 successful for him.

Ngaa mihi nui

Susan Hassall